Monday, October 11, 2010

Letterboxing Anyone???

Last week, while I was waiting in my doctor's office, I was reading an article in a parenting magazine about cheap outdoor activities to do with your kids.  The first one on the list was Letterboxing.  I was so intrigued that I came home and looked up the web site.  Check it out at www.letterboxing.org.  It is like going on a treasure hunt.  You follow clues that lead to a secret hiding place where there is a container with a rubber stamp and a notebook.  Sometimes there are other items, too.  Like the next one we want to do has a cookie recipe in it.  We are going to buy our own notebook and stamp, so we can collect the stamps of which letterboxes we have found and we can also stamp the notebook in the letterbox with our stamp, so that person knows we were there.  It is all very secret and exciting!  I showed it to Bobby Saturday afternoon and he was totally sold.  So we picked one near us and set out on a new great adventure!  We got to do some hiking, discovered a new park and had a fantastic time!  I highly recommend this for anyone who loves outdoor adventure!  You can search your area for letterboxes on the web site, so don't waste another minute!  This was one of the neatest things we have ever done, and I think it is going to become our new favorite family past time!  Here are some pics of our adventure!

Just a picture of the beautiful woods.

Neil and I following the clues up the trail.


Here is a great pic I took of Bobby and the kids right before we got to cross the creek.  Neil thought this was one of the neatest things ever!

We found the "treasure" hidden inside an old mossy log!

The green notebook we signed is in the baggie.  We just signed it and put the date, since we didn't have a stamp yet or a notebook of our own.  We will have to go back to this one once we get everything, and stamp our notebook so we have a record of it.

Neil throwing rocks into the woods.

Another picture of the beautiful scenery.

Ella got to ride on Daddy's back for the hike.

Here is a makeshift family pic taken by Bobby's long arm.  You can barely see Ella peeking over Bobby's shoulder! ;)
This was truly a blast!  So, get out there and try it for yourself!  We are even talking about making our own letterbox and hiding it someday.  I had no idea people did this, but it is the coolest thing ever, and, best of all, it is totally free!

No comments:

Post a Comment